Tech Circus Privacy Notice
At Tech Circus we are committed to maintaining the trust and confidence of our visitors to our websites. Please read the following page carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. We keep certain basic information when you visit our website and recognise the importance of keeping that information secure and letting you know what we will do with it. This policy also sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us pursuant to the Data Protection Act 2018, UK GDPR and EU GDPR (“Data Protection Laws”).
This policy only applies to our site. If you leave our site via a link or otherwise, you will be subject to the policy of that website provider. We have no control over that policy or the terms of the website and you should check their policy before continuing to access the site.
Controller for personal data
A “controller” is a person or organisation who alone or jointly determines the purposes for which and the way any personal data is or is likely to be processed. Unless we notify you otherwise Tech Circus is the controller of your personal data for the purpose of this website and of the following:
This privacy notice applies to the processing of personal data by us in connection with any:
● Customers: For the provision of conferencing services by us.
● Suppliers: For the provision of products and services to us by suppliers or service providers.
● Visitors: For the provision of services by us as a visitor on our website.
Types of personal data
Personal data or personal information means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed. This is known as anonymised data. Anonymised data falls outside the scope of Data Protection Laws.
Tech Circus may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together:
● Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier and title.
● Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
● Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
● Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details for the provision of services you have purchased from us.
● Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our website.
● Profile Data includes your username and password, searches made by you, your ratings and comments, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
● Usage Data includes information about how you use our website and services.
● Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
How we collect your personal data
Directly from you: You give us your personal data in your direct interactions with us. Such personal data includes Identity Data, Contact Data, Financial Data, Profile Data, Usage Data, Technical Data, Marketing and Communications Data (i) by filling in forms on our website (ii) by leaving ratings and comments (iii) by corresponding with us by email or post (iv) by calling us over the telephone.
This includes personal data you provide when you:
● subscribe to our service.
● request marketing to be sent to you.
● give us feedback or contact us either directly or via any forms on our site.
● participate in our marketing or other promotional events.
From use of our website
Tech Circus gathers information and statistics collectively about visitors to the Company's website. Analysis of this information demonstrates the most frequently used sections of the website and assists us in continually improving the online service. You give us your personal data, which includes Profile Data, Usage Data, Technical Data and/or Marketing and Communications Data when you use our website or which we have agreed with you to use or when you review any publications or marketing material we send you. Please see our cookies notice for more information.
Indirectly: Third-party sources: We receive Identity Data, Contact Data, Financial Data, about you from third parties when:
● we provide our services or other parties send us your personal data to enable the provision of those service.
● you provide your personal data to a third party for the purpose of sharing it with us.
Providing personal data
Where we need to collect personal data by law or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you do not provide that information when requested we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you, for example, to provide you with our services. In this case, we may have to cancel our service but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How we use your personal data
Tech Circus will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. We will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
● Performance of a contract: Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you. For example when you sign up to our services.
● Legal obligation: Where we need to comply with a legal obligation. For example for accounting or legal purposes.
● Legitimate interests: Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
● Consent: Where we do rely on consent you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw consent. Please also see Marketing communications.
Data collected at our events
Tech Circus’s partners may at their discretion collect and store data that you consent to pass on at our events. Tech Circus are not responsible for the data policies or procedures or content of other linked websites or events that you attend. We recommend that you check the privacy and security policies of each website/event you visit.
If you consent to passing across data such as email addresses to our partners at any of our events, these partners may attempt to contact you and store such data for means of further communication. The use and handling of your data at our events should be discussed directly with those agents that you have passed your data on to.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
We have set out below in a table format a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal data and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the table that can be downloaded here.
Tech Circus may send you marketing communication. You have the right to object to processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes. You can unsubscribe from receiving marketing communications from us by using the unsubscribe methods contained in communications we send to you or by contacting us. See Contact us.
Where you opt-out of receiving marketing communications this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of registering for or using our service, your service experience or other interactions with this site.
As part of the registration process for our email marketing campaigns, we collect personal information. We use that information for a couple of reasons: to tell you about stuff you’ve asked us to tell you about; to contact you if we need to obtain or provide additional information; to check our records are right and to check every now and then that you’re happy and satisfied. We don’t rent or trade email lists with other organisations and businesses.
We use a third-party provider, MailChimp, to deliver our mail campaigns. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry-standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletter. For more information, please see MailChimp’s privacy notice.
We collect your email address when:
● you purchase a ticket (and opt-in with our ticket Service Provider ‘Eventbrite’)
● you subscribe to our mailing list
How we share your personal data
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below:
● Internally: Your personal data will be used by our employees and contractors who are working on providing your services to you on a need-to-know basis.
● Suppliers: This would include service providers who support our business including IT and communication suppliers and outsourced business support to ensure our service runs smoothly. These third parties may have access to your personal data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
● Marketing support providers: See Mailing List section of this privacy notice.
● Professional advisers: This would include lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
● Law enforcement bodies, regulators and other authorities: This is to comply with our legal requirements or adhere to good practices.
● Advertising networks and analytics service providers: This is to support and display ads on our website, apps and other social media tools. For further information please see our Cookies Notice.
● Third parties: This is in the context of the acquisition or transfer of any part of our business or in connection with the business reorganisation. If a change happens to our business then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice.
Transfer Of Data
How we safeguard personal data when we transfer it internationally
We ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded whenever we transfer personal data out of the UK/EU by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
1. We will only transfer your personal information to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal information; or
2. We will use specific contracts approved for use in the UK/EU which give personal information the same protection it has in the UK/EU. For example, the use of Article 46 UK/EU GDPR safeguard mechanisms to transfer personal data.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will take reasonable measures to protect your personal data, Tech Circus cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted and any transmission is at your own risk.
Tech Circus will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
To determine the appropriate retention period for the personal information we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means and the applicable legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or other requirements.
Tech Circus may anonymise your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Data Subject Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under Data Protection Laws. You can:
Request access to your personal data: This is known as a "data subject access request" and enables you to receive a copy of the personal data Tech Circus hold about you.
Request correction of your personal data: This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
Request erasure of your personal data: This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. Note: We may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you at the time of your request.
Object to processing of your personal data: This is where we are processing your personal data based on a legitimate interest or those of a third party and you may challenge this. However, we may be entitled to continue processing your information based on our legitimate interests or where this is relevant to any legal claims. See also Marketing communications.
Request restriction of processing your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the information's accuracy (b) where our use of the information is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it (c) where you need us to hold the information even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims or (d) you have objected to our use of your information but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
Request transfer of your personal information (“data portability”): This is where in some circumstances we will provide to you or a third party you have chosen your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.
Right to withdraw consent: This is where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. This will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. Depending on the processing activity, if you withdraw your consent we may not be able to provide certain services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
Automated decision making: This is where decisions are made about you by automated means. We do not carry out automated decision-making.
Keeping personal information accurate and current
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us. If you wish to update your personal data please contact us. See Contact us.
Carrying out your data subject rights
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data or to exercise any of the other rights. However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal information or to exercise any of your other rights. This is a security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us at email@example.com.
Concerns and complaints
We would appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns in the first instance. Please see Contact us section. If you have unresolved concerns and you live or work in the UK or believe that a personal data breach happened in the UK you have the right to complain at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk).
If you live or work outside the UK or you have a complaint concerning our personal data processing activities you may lodge a complaint with another supervisory authority.
Links To Other Sites
Changes to our privacy notice
This privacy notice may be changed from time to time in response to legal, technical or business developments. We will take appropriate measures to inform you when we update our privacy notice. We will obtain your consent to any material privacy notice changes if and where this is required by applicable Data Protection Laws.
If you would like more information about the way we manage personal information that we hold about you please contact us at:
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This version was last updated on 23 June 2022.